Sunday, June 1, 2008

Help me decide which sock!

OK, I still don't have any new finished items to show you. I'm still working on everything, it's just slow going right now. And as if I need something else to start......

I wanna try knitting socks! It seems like such a big thing in the knitting world! I haven't really gotten into it or understood what the big thing is about making socks when you can go buy them. But there must be something to it since sooooo many people are really into it. So, I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can figure out what the big deal is. :D

The question is where to start? I found some "basic" sock patterns in Ravelry that I thought might be good, but even in "basic" patterns, there are lots of patterns! So help me choose! Please! :D

The yarn I've chosen to use is Moda Dea Sassy Stripes in Crush colorway. I didn't want to make a huge investment in sock yarn until I know whether or not I'm gonna like making socks. I've heard so much about Second Sock Syndrome that I didn't want to spend the money if I was only going to make one sock. :D If all goes well and I enjoy it and decide to make more, I'll get the really good stuff then. I've already got my eye on some ShiBui Sock colorways that I will have to make something else out of if I don't enjoy socks! :D

And how do you decide on toe-up or tow-down????? Is there a big difference?

Anyway, to the patterns...... All these patterns are links in Ravelry (since most of you I know from there):

Knit Socks - LM0131 by Grace Alexander
Basic Sock Recipe by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Magic Stripe Basic Socks by Lion Brand Yarn
Wendy's Generic Toe-Up Sock by Wendy Johnson
Sock-u-lator Sock Pattern Generator by Lucia Liljegren

And by all means, if you know of some other really good free pattern (again, not ready to invest much in this yet) for a first sock attempt, let me know! Leave me a comment or vote in the poll. Whichever pattern gets the most votes will be the one I give a go!

And to my crochet friends, you know I've got to try a crochet version too, but the pattern I really want to try for crocheted socks isn't out yet! So I'm eagerly awaiting the first CLF Book release! :D

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I vote for Steph's basic sock recipe. I think it really helps you understand how a sock works. Welcome to the addiction of socks!

    ReplyDelete